Scotland needed to do two things at FB Fields on Sunday: make sure of beating Jersey, and do so by a sufficient margin to keep their net run rate ahead of Ireland’s. They achieved the first with a 69-run victory, but the margin was not enough to ensure the second.

They were denied by a greatly-improved batting performance from the hosts, who were handicapped by the absence through injury of Ben Ward but who nevertheless produced their highest total of the tournament, reaching 170 in reply to Scotland’s 239 for six.

Skipper James Dickinson surprised many by electing to bat first on winning the toss, but his decision seemed to have been vindicated when his side had reached 141 for two in the 29th over and looked to be on course to make something approaching 280.

Owais Shah had again given them a great start with 46, scored at almost a run a ball, and after his departure Angus Hinton and Finlay McCreath added 70 for the third wicket in just 15 overs.

But then Hinton, who had made 60 from 74 balls and had struck two big straight sixes, was caught at cover off Julius Sumerauer, and the momentum of the Scottish innings started to slow.

Harry Carlyon again bowled a tidy spell, and although McCreath and Rory Johnston added a further 65 they were unable to capitalise on the platform what had been created, and soon after McCreath reached his second half-century of the tournament he, too, fell to the hard-working Sumerauer and departed for an 87-ball 53.

Johnston and Dickinson continued to the end, putting on 33 more, but the former, having made 40, gave Sumerauer a deserved third wicket off the final ball of the innings.

Matt Daubeney went in the first over of Jersey’s reply, but then George Moore and Carlyon produced their side’s best partnership of the tournament so far, putting on 61 and keeping Jersey in touch with the required rate.

The introduction of spin slowed their progress, and when they went in successive overs, Carlyon giving a return catch to Haroon Tahir when he had made 34 and Moore falling to a superb catch by Ihtesham Malik off Dickinson, the chase faltered.

John Heward and David Bourne added another 44, but it took them 16 overs to do it. Tahir producing an outstanding ten-over spell which conceded just 16 runs.

It was the reintroduction of Malik, who had earlier bowled fast but erratically, which spelled the end for Jersey: he had Bourne caught at slip of the first delivery of his new spell, and in his next over took a return catch to remove Heward. There was some further resistance from Sumerauer and from Edward Giles, who belted 15 off one Johnston over, but Malik eventually removed both of them, and with Ward unable to bat the innings closed on 170.

Malik’s five for 23 in nine overs deservedly earned him the Player of the Match award.