Derriaghy have done it again! They have had to wait three weeks to follow-up their opening day success against CIYMS, but they proved that win was no fluke by knocking cup specialists Donemana out of the Irish Senior Cup on another woeful day for North West teams in their bogey competition.

The new NCU Premier League upstarts hit the Donemana attack for 282 and then survived two major partnerships to hang on and win by 10 runs, captain Craig Lewis taking the final catch to dismiss young William McBrine.

If any ground in the NCU suited Donemana it was Queensway - the straighter boundaries even shorter than The Holm - but despite staring down the barrel at 122 for one and 262 for eight, Derriaghy refused to give in and despite the batting heroics of Lewis and professional Kaushik Aphale, it was the home bowlers which won it.

Ricky-Lee Dougherty and Gary McClintock had added 117 for the second wicket in just 19 overs when Wayne Hughes struck, having McClintock caught at long-on and that inspired a dramatic collapse which saw Donemana lose five wickets for 11 runs in 31 balls, including Dougherty, whose 72 came off 62 balls with seven fours and six sixes.

It could have been six wickets for 20 runs but Robert Cumins dropped a straightforward chance off Donemana pro Jan Frylinck on eight. How vital would that be?

More than 40 runs later it looked to be crucial until Cumins himself ended the seventh wicket stand by having Dwayne McGerrigle caught in the deep.

In the next over, the off-spinner made up for the drop with a big turner to Frylinck and the South African holed out to short thirdman to make it 189-8.

But although Ireland international and North West Warriors skipper Andy McBrine was part of the top order collapse - one of three victims for the excellent Curtis Moorhead - his brothers, Ritchie and William picked up the momentum again, with Ritchie hitting a superb half century from just 23 balls (five fours and four sixes).

Next ball, however, after a stand of 73 and Donemana just 20 runs from the winning post, Ritchie found long-on and the visitors had only one wicket left.

It wasn't enough and Aphale claimed the final wicket with 15 balls remaining.

Earlier, both Aphale and Craig Lewis had scored centuries for Derriaghy, the skipper getting there first despite giving his team-mate a 39 runs and 27 overs start.

Lewis hit 105 from just 57 balls with half of his 16 boundaries clearing the fence - most by some distance - while Aphale was content to take 120 balls over his century, with nine fours and two sixes.

They go into to today's draw with fellow NCU sides CIYMS and Carrickfergus who won their home games against Brigade and Drummond respectively.

Captain Nigel Jones batted through CI's winning reply to score 73 out of 143 and shared a stand of 118 with debutant Karthik Rajeyelu who took 21 balls to get off the mark but hit 55 from 107 balls.

Carrickfergus had a straightforward win after reducing Drummond to 21 for seven and although the North West side recovered to total 107, thanks to Damien Carlin hitting four fours and three sixes in his 49, the home side eased home by seven wickets in the 24th over.

There was further woe for the two North West teams in Dublin with the Merrion ground hit by a hailstorm just before the scheduled start forcing Premiership champions Coleraine into a bowl-out which last year's beaten finalists won 3-2.

Strabane did complete a 26 overs game at Malahide but they too finished on the losing side, with Ireland international Peter Chase defending the 12 which the Red Caps needed off the last over.

Cork County won yesterday's other Irish Cup tie, also on a bowl-out, and with Co Galway also in the second round draw, it could be a long trip for a northern team following this Saturday's league action. The next round takes place on Sunday!