Quebec and Ontario A progressed to the semi-finals of the Scotiabank National T20 Cricket Championship 2008 with wins under the Duckworth/Lewis (D/L) system against Alberta and Nova Scotia respectively. The games between Manitoba and Ontario B, and British Columbia and Saskatchewan did not complete as persistent rain made the grounds unplayable at Maple Leaf Cricket Club, King City, Ontario.

Players and match officials became frustrated by the delay in announcing a decision on a revised schedule for Monday. It came as a surprise to see that play had resumed in both the Quebec-Manitoba and Ontario A-Nova Scotia matches given the continuing rain. The latter match was decided under the D/L system as Nova Scotia had completed batting for 5 overs.

Captain Abdool Samad launched the Ontario A innings with a brisk 26 runs, all-rounder Umar Bhatti made 20 runs and Ritchie Karpoor crowned the innings with 54 runs not out off 36 balls. Shreyas Dond took 2 wickets in the same over for Nova Scotia.

Opening batsmen Zulfikar Hussain made 40 runs in 42 balls and Anuraj Gupta scored 27 runs as Alberta reached 125 runs for 5 wickets in its 20 overs. Quebec rattled off 22 runs, as the weather threatened, in just 2.5 overs. The play stopped for rain, but eventually resumed. Abdul Jabbar continued to lead the Quebec batting, this time racing to 42 runs not out as his side reached 87 runs for the loss of 1 wicket after 12 overs. Common sense then prevailed and play was again halted. Quebec was ruled the winner under the D/L system.

Saskatchewan scored 63 runs for 8 wickets in 20 overs against British Columbia. Tanzil Rehman, from Victoria B.C., took 3 wickets for 8 runs in 4 overs. British Columbia was on 2 runs for 1 wicket when the heavy rains stopped play after 1.5 overs.

Canadian international Mohsin Mulla took 3 wickets for 8 runs and Eion Katchey took 3 wickets for 11 runs as Ontario B bowled out Manitoba for 61 runs in 18 overs. Joe Lovelace made top score with 13 runs.

One Nova Scotia player dislocated a shoulder in the opening match of the tournament when he fell and landed on his shoulder in running between the wickets to try and score a run. He was taken to hospital and the shoulder has been put back in place. Some of the pitches were damp on the opening morning. A number of players slipped either fielding or when batting in the first round of matches, but pitches and outfields dried later in the day as the sun shone.

There was a lot of discussion, rumours of 8am and 10 am starts for Monday's play at the ground. But the faithful are likely to be back on Monday to see what transpires. The concept of public announcements seemed alien and the official Cricket Canada website lacked self-evident plans for Monday's revised schedule. At least the weather seemed to improve later in the afternoon but sun and/or wind will be needed to help dry the grounds.