The Royal Gazette masthead

The threat of thunderstorms and gale-force winds has forced Bermuda Cricket Board (BCB) to postpone the Twenty20 Cup final at the National Sports Centre.

This evening's showpiece event was supposed to provide a fitting end to a competition that has gripped the Island's imagination.

Unfortunately nature has had other ideas, and the final, and third and fourth place play-off will now take place in a week's time.

Although the threat of rain is nothing new to cricketers, the high winds threatened the inflatable 30-foot screen that was the centre-piece of what was hoped would be an exciting spectacle.

The screen would have provided instant replays, with four or five cameras positioned around the ground to capture the action.

And the captains of St George's and Somerset, the two sides in the inaugural final were going to be wearing microphones.

The plan represented a significant investment on the part of the BCB, and in the end if was decided that the risk was far too great.

"There is very little cover up at the National Stadium, and even a light wind can feel strong," Allen Richardson, vice-president of the BCB, said.

"In consultation with the organisers, and Trevor Madeiros, we decided to postpone it a week. We have a window available. And if it is windy next week then we'll just have to do it without the screen.

"But we really want the screen to be a part of the whole event. We feel it will add to the excitement, will give the public something else to get interested in, and could help with sponsors for next year.

The forecast is changing all the time, and we just felt that we had to make a decision.

Everyone agreed that it was the right thing to do."

Local company Startime Productions had been hired to provide the big screen, and they agreed with the BCB's decision.

"Raising the screen in such conditions is not ideal for a featured event," said company spokesman Eugene Dean.

"The screen we are using is the inflatable one that was used at the PGA, and although it will be staked and tied down, at those winds it would be a huge sail. It might be ok, but it probably isn't worth finding out."