The Irish Universities experienced generally poor fortunes at the 1992 British Universities Sports Federation tournament, held in the Cardiff area. They suffered heavy defeats at the hands of Scottish Universities and London Universities and also went down to the Welsh Universities. However, they did have an excellent nine runs victory over the UAU English Roses. In most of the games they scored sufficient runs but their bowlers had trouble in containing the opposition. Fitzpatrick, Deans and Hopkirk all scored fine half centuries but no batsman or bowler managed to perform consistently well.
The squad was: D O'Riordan (University College Dublin, captain), S Boylan (Dublin University), J Byrne (University College Dublin), A Canavan (University College Dublin), D Deans (Queen's University Belfast), J Fitzpatrick (University College Dublin), S Foskett (University of Ulster), P Hopkirk (Dublin University), C Hoey (Dublin University), J Irons (Queen's University Belfast), M McCord (Dublin University), J Magee (University of Ulster), J Peak (University of Ulster), K Smith (University of Ulster).
- Scottish Universities 207-8 (R Flack 87, S Patel 44) beat Irish Universities 135 (T Henderson 3-36) by 72 runs.
- Irish Universities 193-7 (J Fitzpatrick 60*, P Hopkirk 44, N Hunt 4-46) beat UAU Roses 184 (R Sharp 46, D Deans 4-60) by 9 runs.
- Irish Universities 180-9 (N Crust 3-28) lost to Welsh Universities 181-6 (J Longworth 73, M Madurusinghe 40, J Peak 3-44) by 4 wickets.
- Irish Universities 207-5 (P Hopkirk 58, D Deans 51*) lost to London University 211-4 (D Maynard 55, R Jerman 48, F Wylie 43*, J Irons 3-37) by 6 wickets.
- Irish Universities versus UAU Unicorns - abandoned.
- Irish Universities beat Munster President's XI by 5 wickets
Munster President's XI 168 (Shah Alam 44, J Fitzpatrick 3-24, D Deans 3-34)
Irish Universities 171-5 (J Magee 59)