Irish Universities have been once again been invited to take part in the annual Hone McGregor Tri Series to taking place at the historic Fenner’s Ground in Cambridge this week.
The Irish side will play Cambridge University and Scottish Universities in a triangular tournament of 50-overs games.
The IUCA Indoor Tournament took place in Galway earlier this year, with entries from all over the country taking part. The eventual winners were the hosts – National University of Ireland, Galway.
The IUCA Outdoor Tournament took place in Belfast a few weeks ago with Dublin Institute of Technology and Ulster University sharing the ‘Trevor West’ trophy as rain caused the final to be abandoned in Shaw’s Bridge.
Irish Universities Cricket Association team manager Herbie McClelland is upbeat about his team’s chances in the challenge series:
‘I feel that we have a strong squad ready to take on the Scottish Universities and Cambridge University. I believe our squad can retain the silverware on our side of the Irish Sea after winning both trophies last year’’
The Irish Universities side can draw on several top-class cricketers, including Ireland wicket keeper Lorcan Tucker (Trinity), Will von Behr (Trinity and MCC) and representative players Tom Stanton and Gareth Delany (UCD and Leinster Lightning).
The Cambridge tournament takes place at Fenner’s, with the opening game between the hosts and Scottish Universities on 13 June.
Ireland play the Scots on 14 June, and finish against Cambridge University on 15 June, when they could come up against one Irish player - Patrick Tice, Cambridge University Captain.
Fixtures – Hone McGregor Tri Series
- Tuesday 13 June - Cambridge University v Scottish Universities
- Wednesday 14 June - Irish Universities v Scottish Universities
- Thursday 15 June Cambridge University v Irish Universities
Irish Universities Squad List:-
- Matthew McCord (Ulster University) – Captain
- Kashif Ali (Dublin City University)
- Tom Anders (Dublin City University)
- Jack Balbirnie (Dublin Institute of Technology)
- Gareth Delany (University College Dublin)
- Danny Hogan (Dublin Institute of Technology)
- Michael Hogan (Dublin Institute of Technology)
- Niall Hunt (Trinity College Dublin)
- Niall McGovern (Dublin Institute of Technology)
- Tom Stanton (University College Dublin)
- Lorcan Tucker (Trinity College Dublin)
- Will von Behr (Trinity College Dublin)
You can follow updates from the matches via IUCA’s Twitter: @irishunicricket